Sunday 16 August 2015

Review: Extraordinary Means by Robyn Schneider

Title:  Extraordinary  Means
Author:  Robyn  Schneider
Genre:  Young  adult,  contemporary
Publisher: Katherine  Tegen  Books

What  It's  About:  Extraordinary  Means  is  about  a  seventeen  year  old  boy  named  Lane  who  after  contracting  an  incurable  form  of  tuberculosis,  finds  himself  at  Laytham  House,  a  care  centre  for  teenagers  like  him.  Lane  was  top  of  the  class  at  school  and  he  struggles  with  not  being  able  to  keep  up  with  the  work  or  fill  out  his  Stanford  application.
One  day  in  the  cafeteria,  he  spots  Sadie,  a  girl  he  went  to  summer  camp  with  a  few  years  ago.  Lane  notices  that  Sadie  and  her  friends  stand  out  from  the  other  kids  at  Laytham.  They're  funny,  intelligent, sarcastic,  and  well,  alive.  By  befriending  them,  Lane  learns  that  there's  more  to  life  than  applications  and  deadlines,  and  that  sometimes  you  just  have  to  go  with  the  flow  and  see  where  the  road  takes  you.

What  I  Thought:  This  is  my  second  Robyn  Schneider  book  and  I  think  that  I  liked  it  even  more  than  the  first  one,  The  Beginning  of  Everything  or  Severed  Heads  and  Broken  Hearts.  I  listened  to  the  audiobook  and  I'd  really  recommend  it.  The  narrators  did  a  fantastic  job.
I  liked  Lane.  I  understand  the  pressure  that  he  put  himself  under  at  school  and  how  he  always  looked  to  the  future  instead  of  living  in  the  present.  I  loved  watching  him  grow  and  try  new  things  as  the  book  went  on.  He  had  great  character  development.
I  quite  liked  Sadie,  the  female  protagonist.  She  was  brave,  snarky  and  I  was  interested  to  learn  about  her.
It's  obvious  from  the  get  go  that  this  is  a  love  story  about  two  ill  teenagers  who  fall  in  love,  and  I've  heard  it  compared  to  John  Green's  The  Fault  In  Our  Stars,  but  it's  not  The  Fault  In  Our  Stars.  It's  different,  so  don't  let  that  put  you  off  giving  it  a  try.
I  enjoyed  the  writing.  I  liked  how  it's  a  dual  perspective  novel  and  how  we  got  to  see  both  Lane's  and  Sadie's  side  of  their  story.  Robyn  Schneider  had  some  important  messages  in  here  about  enjoying  life  and  breaking  rules  and  how  there  is  more  to  life  than  essays  and  textbooks.  At  times,  it's  really  funny  and  makes  you  laugh,  and  other  times  it's  serious  and  makes  you  tear  up  as  you  think  about  what  the  characters  are  going  through,  and  how  you  would  act  it  were  you.
The  plot  is  good,  but  also  rather  typical  of  these  kinds  of  stories.  There  are  some  surprises  that  made  me  want  to  keep  listening  and  I  was  completely  invested  in  the  story.
I  have  to  say  that  I  was  impressed  by  this  book  and  I'm  looking  forward  to  future  books  by  Robyn  Schneider.

Rating:  4/5  stars

Picture  =  Goodreads



No comments:

Post a Comment